Feel our Thunder: Ignite, Learn, Grow! Go Bolts Go!
Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year!
First Day of School is Tuesday September 5, 2017
We are very excited to have you with us at Beckett Farm Public School. Our staff have worked tirelessly to prepare the school for our students. The Beckett team is feeling refreshed, re-engerized and are looking forward to continuing our learning journey together.
The teachers and administrative team at Beckett Farm P.S. are constantly improving to become more connected to the community. This will provide you with week to week updates possibly including school notices, events, assemblies, field trips, sports tryouts and admin messages (and more).
How to subscribe to this newsletter
- Navigate to BFPSnews.com
- On the right hand side of the page, enter your email where it says “Weekly Updates in your Inbox” and click subscribe.
- Check your email to confirm your subscription by clicking on the blue button “Confirm Follow.”
- Note: You may also choose to unsubscribe from these emails at any time (by clicking on the unsubscribe button at the bottom of the emails).
Please help us spread the news to the Beckett Farm community by directing them to this site. We look forward to staying in touch with you this upcoming school year. If you have questions regarding the Beckett Farm Newsletter, please contact us at email@example.com or by telephone at (289) 746-3276.
A few September reminders for our families:
- The first back back to school is Tuesday, September 5, 2017. All students are asked to join us outside in the backyard and look for their grade sign. All staff will be available to support and assist in the transition to their new classes. We appreciate your support and patience on this first day back to the school.
- Entry bell is at 9:00AM. Our instructional day begins promptly at 9:10am. Supervision on the property begins as of 8:55am. Our goal is to have all of our students in their classrooms, ready to learn at 9:10am. Maintaining a morning routine is very important to ensure that students are ready to actively participate in their learning. Any students that enter the building past 9:10am are required to go to the office for a late slip.
- Start-up packages will be sent home in the first week of school. Please take some time to complete the information so we can maintain the safety of all of our students. These forms will include: the acceptable use of technology, dismissal procedure and lunchtime routines. These start up forms must be signed and returned to your child’s teacher by September 11, 2017. You may read our startup package here (PDF), however required forms will be distributed in class.
For additional information please visit our YRDSB school website:
Beckett Farm Public School Website
We wish you all a wonderful long weekend ahead and we look forward to seeing you on Tuesday morning.
Message from our Trustee, Billy Pang
As we begin the 2017-2018 school year, I want to take this opportunity to welcome all of our new and returning students and families. This is an exciting time of year and I hope you are starting this new school year as trustees are – with optimism and a commitment to working together to continue advancing student achievement and well-being.
An important part of that commitment is working together with staff members, families and communities to ensure our schools provide an environment that is safe, welcoming and inclusive. This takes on increasing importance given recent local and global events. We take pride in the diversity of our communities and will continue striving to uphold the values of equity and inclusivity in our system.
Trustees have had a busy summer, welcoming our new Human Rights Commissioner and beginning the process for selecting a new Director of Education as we continue to move forward implementing the Minister’s Directions.
An important part of the director selection process includes collecting input from students, staff, families and community members – input that will be used to shape the job description, interview questions and more. I encourage everyone to share their thoughts through the survey available in September. We will continue to keep you updated as this work progresses.
Our schools are stronger when we work in collaboration with families and communities. Partnerships with parents and families are essential to achieving the goals we have for our students, and I hope that you will find opportunities to get engaged with the school and your child’s learning this year.
I wish you all the best for the upcoming school year.
A Message from the Chair of the YRDSB Board of Trustees (Re: Director of Education recruitment )
Please see full letter (PDF), excerpt below:
As you may be aware, York Region District School Board is currently recruiting for a Director of Education. The responsibility of selecting a Director is one of the most important tasks of the Board of Trustees.
Markham Expo 150
On behalf of Mayor Frank Scarpitti of the City of Markham, we are extending an invite to the elementary and secondary students, teachers, family and friends to join us at this free weekend of events being celebrated September 8th to 10th in honour of Canada’s and Ontario’s 150th Birthday. For more information click here.