Happening this week!
Happy Chanukah (Hanukkah) to all those celebrating.
December 3-7 – BFPS Takes Part in “Hour of Code”
This week, Beckett Farm will be participating in the Hour of Code, a global event to celebrate Computer Science and the language of programming. Our goal is for each student to participate in at least one hour, spread throughout the next two weeks.
December 5– Kids Connection (Daycare) Holiday Concert
December 7- Firefighters Presentation (Grade 1)
December 12– Primary Winter Concert @ 6:30PM (see details below)
December 13– FDK Winter Concert @ 2:30-3:30
A Closer Look
Faith Day: Chanukah (Hanukkah)
Chanukah, the Jewish “Festival of Lights,” also known as the “Feast of Dedication,” begins at sunset.
In Judaism, Chanukah is celebrated for eight days to commemorate the victory of Judah the Maccabee for religious freedom and rededication of the Temple in 165 B.C.E. and to celebrate the power of God and the faithfulness of Israel.
During the celebration, the eight candles of the menorah, the Chanukah lamp, are lit one day at a time. Card-playing is traditionally associated with the festival, as is spinning the dreidel (a spinning top). Schools will be acknowledging the festival through a variety of activities that promote learning and understanding for all students.
We join you in wishing students, staff and members of the community who will be lighting the menorah in their homes a joyful time of sharing.
BFPS Winter Concert 2018
Date: Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Time(s): Daytime Performance open to Parents – 11:30 am
Evening Performance – 6:30 pm
Who: Grades 1-3/4. Also featuring the BFPS Choir, BFPS Concert Band, School of Rock and the Ukulele club
WINTER CLOTHING DRIVE
Beckett Farm Public School is partnering up with “Holiday Heroes”, an organization run by the York Regional Police, to help support children in our community who are in need of winter clothing this season.
Families may choose to donate new winter clothing. Examples of winter clothing that are in need are:
mittens / gloves
The drive will begin on Monday, December 3 and run until Wednesday, December 12.
For EACH item donated to the Holiday Heroes campaign, families of students participating in the WINTER CONCERT will be given ballots for a draw to win reserved front row seating for the Winter Concert. Ballots will be drawn on December 12th.
Thank you for your generosity this holiday season!
Human Rights Commissioner’s Office
York Region District School Board is committed to creating safe, equitable and inclusive learning and working environments. As part of this commitment, the Board established a Human Rights Commissioner’s Office (HRCO).
The HRCO was created in response to a growing awareness that a space was needed within the school board environment to effectively address issues of discrimination and harassment specific to the Human Rights Code.
The HRCO is an arms-length office for Human Rights Code compliance under the Board’s Human Rights Policy.
The HRCO website provides the YRDSB community access to important information related to human rights, a confidential complaint reporting process and contact information for the office.
The website can be found at www.yrdsb.ca/hrco.
School Bus Cancellation Notice
To ensure the safety of students, school bus service may be cancelled due to inclement weather, extreme temperatures and/or poor road conditions. In these cases, parents and students should develop alternate care/transportation arrangements.
Cancellation decisions will only be made after thorough consultation with the Safety Officers of school bus companies servicing York Region and are based on several factors including precipitation, air temperature, road conditions and weather forecast.
Please note the following;
- A decision to cancel school bus service will be region-wide meaning all school buses, vans and taxis will not operate. Both the YRDSB and YCDSB operate many regional educational programs. Students attending these programs are transported over large attendance areas encompassing several municipal boundaries which prevents the ability to cancel bus service using a municipality or zone methodology.
- When bus service is cancelled all school tests and/or examinations will be cancelled and rescheduled.
- Student trips involving the use of school buses will also be cancelled.
- Unless otherwise stated, schools will remain open and parents can make arrangements to transport their children to and from school even if school bus service is cancelled. If buses are cancelled in the morning, they will not operate in the afternoon. Therefore students transported to school by parents will require the same transportation home.
A bus cancellation message will be available at www.schoolbuscity.com, by calling 1-877-330-3001, or by following @YRDSB and @YCDSB on Twitter.
Parents, students and school staff may also access the following radio and television stations after 6:00 a.m. to receive bus cancellation information:
590 AM 640 AM 680 AM 860 AM 1010 AM 1050 AM
1540 AM 1580 AM 88.5 FM 89.9 FM 92.5 FM 93.1 FM
94.9 FM 95.9 FM 97.3 FM 98.1 FM 99.1 FM 99.9 FM
101.1 FM 102.1 FM 104.5 FM 100.7 FM 105.9 107.1 FM
CITY-TV CTV Barrie CTV Toronto CP24 GLOBAL NEWS
Monthly Math Messages
Math at Home
The following resources from the YRDSB may serve to encourage families to engage in math together and to be more connected to the math learning happening at school. Please take some time to take a look at some of the resources found below as a way to engage in some fun math learning together with your children. Each month will be a new theme!
- Grocery shopping can involve money, budgeting, estimating, adding, subtracting, and measuring
- Cooking can involve weighing, measuring, ordering, estimating, adding, and multiplying
- Organizing for a party can mean matching numbers of people to plates, cutlery, area of tables, ordering food, and seating arrangements
- Going on a trip by car or plane involves time, distance, budgeting, speed, comparing various routes, and shape scavenger hunts
- Completing a half-finished symmetrical design using playdough (e.g., half a butterfly, tree)
- Building a snowman can involve measuring, spatial reasoning, and estimating