The Farm’s Funny of the week:
May is Asian/South Asian Heritage Month and Jewish Heritage Month!
Happening this week!
Musical Rehearsal: Thursday’s @8AM
May 20- Victoria Day, NO SCHOOL
May 21-24– EQAO GRADE 6
May 22- Badminton Night for families (School Council Hosts) @6:30PM
Musical Rehearsal: Thursday’s @8AM
May 27-31st- BIKE TO SCHOOL WEEK!
May 27-30- EQAO GRADE 3
May 27- Mindfulness Monday
May 30- Grade 4 Scientists in School
May 30- Grade 7/8 Track and Field Day
May 31- Grade 4-6 Track and Field Day
May 31- FDK Field Trip to the Ontario Science Centre
May 31- Select Grade 7/8s at Step Out Dance Competition
June 7- FUN FAIR!!!
A Closer Look
Dear Parent or Guardian:
During the week of May 21-24, 2019, your child will be participating in the Education Quality and Accountability Office’s (EQAO’s) Assessment of Reading, Writing and Mathematics, Junior Division, Grade 6 and the week of May 27-30, 2019, the Primary Division, Grade 3.
In six one-hour sessions, students will complete a variety of assessment activities designed to allow them to demonstrate their skills and knowledge relating to reading, writing and mathematics as described in The Ontario Curriculum. The assessment is administered province-wide and is developed by Ontario teachers and assessment experts to reflect curriculum expectations.
PLEASE ENSURE YOUR CHILDREN ARE AT SCHOOL AND ON TIME FOR ALL THOSE DAYS!
EQAO has developed a “Parent’s Guide to EQAO Tests” and “Questions and Answers for Parents” (available in 20 languages) to give you more information about the assessments and an understanding of what to expect. To access these resources, go to the EQAO Web site (www.eqao.com), click “Parent Resources” and then select “Primary Division (Grades 1–3) and Junior Division (Grades 4–6).”
If you have any questions, please call me or your child’s teacher.
Beckett Farm’s Annual Fun Fair!!!!
Rain or Shine!
- BBQ Chicken with corn niblets (gluten-friendly)
- Turkey veggie cheese wrap
- Grilled veggie, black bean cheese wrap
Coffee Chat with Trustees and Board Chair- Markham
Educators for Students of South Asian Heritage (ESSAH)
South Asian Heritage Month Student Contest 2019
Theme: South Asian Heritage in the Canadian Context
Topic (choose one):
- How do you embody your South Asian identity?
- What does being South Asian mean to you?
- Who is your South Asian hero? Why?
Why a South Asian Heritage Contest:
- To celebrate South Asian heritage and identity
- To recognize South Asians who have made a significant contribution to the world
- To provide an avenue for Culturally Responsive and Relevant Teaching/Learning
- Open to all York Region District School Board students K-12
- One entry per student
- Must be the original work of the student
- Entries must be received by May 31, 2019
- Submission through Google Form
- Consistency with theme, Creativity and Originality Decisions:
- Outstanding participants will be notified during the week of June 11, 2018
- Prizes will be awarded at the participants’ schools
Questions? Please contact: Wahid Khan by email firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-884-2046 ext 227
Parent, Family and Community Engagement Advisory Committee – Call for Membership Application Process
- developing strategies and initiatives the Board can use to effectively communicate to parents/guardians to engage them in improving student achievement and wellbeing
- working with school councils of schools of the Board and, through the Board’s Director of Education, with employees of the Board
- identifying and reduce barriers to parent engagement
The Parent, Family and Community Engagement Advisory Committee webpage details the PEAC application process, vacancies, and PEAC’s role and responsibilities
An information session for interested parents, guardians and caregivers will be held on Wednesday, May 22, 2019, from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. at EC-Aurora in the boardroom.
Thank you for your assistance with this endeavour and for your commitment to supporting parent engagement.